Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 03:27 AM   #417 (permalink)
Sweet Jane
Music Addict

^ Yeah I can totally see what you mean. Almost everyone is well aware of what goes on in America, its always on tv. Mind you I heard when that Tsnunami disaster occurred, CNN spent an hour, (It was at least that, i forget) at the start talking about all the American casualties, whereas every other European channel concentrated on the full story, and the destruction and loss caused to all nations. Anyway, thats another way to illustrate my initial broad statement, but to continue with the original...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo
So if I said marijuana was illegal...then I am being an ignorant American, just because I'm not taking in mind the fact that Amsterdam and other countries have it legalized. That is an idiotic argument. But if you'd like, maybe I can give you a good ole test on American laws, and we'll see how well you do. I'm sure few are aware of specific laws outside of their countries.
Like anti poptark chik said, not many people would get much wrong in regards to main laws in other countries, capital punishement, drugs, weaponry, war, immigrant laws etc. Kids from 4 or 5 years of age recognise that America and many communist countries are different. We learn about this stuff. From a very young age, when we study politics, we learn about American politics, as we do a little about other large or neighbouring countries, not just our own. We learn about the American consitution. The majority of people are aware of laws outside their own countries, my point being many Americans seem to be the exception, again obviously not all of them. I live in Scotland, where we are allowed to smoke freely in bars etc, subject to non smoking sections and the occasional non smoking pub. This does not mean I am not aware that this is not the case in Ireland, just because we are allowed to do it.
Did you really not know that Wal-mart doesn't sell guns in most other countries?

And your point about marijuiana is unfair, because Amsterdam is in a very small minority in having it legalised, whereas it is illegal in most other parts of the world. That's what I'm trying to say, I think Americans should be aware of the bigger picture, about the state of affairs throughout the world. Not everyone can know every niche law in every other country, but to be a fully grown adult living in Amsterdam and not to realise marijuana is illegal pretty much everywhere else in the world would actually be pretty ignorant in my opinion. There's more to see than what goes on in your own back garden.

Hobbes: "I'm not sure that man needs the help."
Sweet Jane is offline   Reply With Quote