Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #420 (permalink)
Sweet Jane
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookers with machineguns
I love it how if someone doesn't know one thing then all of a sudden he/she is ignorant. To me, admitting that you are wrong is something more powerful than intelligence.
So I have to ask, what was your point in arguing about the Wal Mart thing again? Why would you disagree with Alejo, considering he lives in the US. We were on the subject of American Wal Marts btw, I thought that was obvious.

On the issue of marijuana, you might want to be careful how you address its status as "illegal" in certain places, because in fact, many places it is "decriminalized"- you should look into that.

I simply don't agree that Americans are any more "ignorant" (there's that word again) than the rest of the world. The average person knows just as much about his country's laws as he does any other country's laws. In real life situations, most people are not even fully aware of their rights. But, let's say that Americans don't know about other country's laws. Does it matter? If anything, we should focus on America's lack of understanding for other country's cultural, political, and historical backgrounds. Even then, does it matter? Without living here, do you think a foreigner can fully grasp the nature of America's culture through what they see through media? In other words, aren't we all just as bad, regardless of what country we happen to inhabit?
I think it matters, if I only cared and learned about what was around me, I'd be pretty ignorant to other religions and cultures and many other things. But yeah, maybe it doesn't matter. I'm voicing my personal opinion here and no-one has to agree with it, but it matters to me. All the Americans I know feel the same way, I met many when I was travelling so I know I'm not completely alone here, and those guys all lived over there, so they must be able to grasp it fully, and they didn't have too much to say to defend much of what I agreed with. Something interesting I noticed was they only started to think this way when they moved to various European countries. And I'm not trying to attack americans, I think its the culture's fault, not anyone's own actings. I'd admit I was wrong if I thought I was I still think American culture can be, in comparison with the rest of the world. I'm not trying to look clever or anything, I could look up random laws and talk about them if I wanted to look intelligent just to prove a point, my point is, laws in other countries are widely taught and the main ones are general knowledge in most of Europe anyway.
And its not just one thing that makes a nation ignorant.. my orginal point about ignorance still stands wether about guns or not, I was using that as an example to illustrate my point as one of you asked me to, because my original statement was too broad to discuss.

No-one specifed that Alejo was talking about American wal-marts... he/she (sorry!) said 'if you think you can't get a gun from wal-mart you are an idiot.' Nothing about America was mentioned, and seeing as my orginal sentence was about meeting an American guy that didn't know guns were pretty much illegal in most of the world, I thought we were talking about the rest of the world.

And nothing wrong with using the term 'illegal' because 'decriminalised' does not mean it is legal, and you can still be fined and given a custodial sentence and a criminal record for having even small amounts of cannabis most places.
Adding 'de' to the world criminal doesn't mean its not criminal, anymore than 'demoted' means you've lost your job... it just means the positioning isn't as high up.

Okay I'll be quiet now unless someone has anything else to add to my points... I don't think we're going to agree on it, and I've said all I originally wanted to say, I don't want to argue with specific people over it.

Hobbes: "I'm not sure that man needs the help."
Sweet Jane is offline   Reply With Quote