Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #360 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Pix View Post
Why do you think Ian Curtis or Kurt Cobain didnt write about politics?
Well, I can think of one reason. They were both kinda ****ed in the head. That kind of thing probably blinds people to a lot of what is going on in the external world.

Seriously, if the underlying question you're throwing at us here is...

...why would I want to hear from people with opinions who write about social issues in a way which might spark thought and debate when I could hear somebody suicidal sing about how sorry they feel for themselves?...

... then I'd really like to know exactly what you think makes constitutes a worthy song topic. Is it only meaningful if it's about how some life-incompetent struggles oh so hard to live because sometimes they feel, like, really sad?

The only issue I have with Rage is that Tom Morello, in statements like the one somebody quoted a few posts ago, seems to be trying to ingratiate himself with those who are seriously oppressed by suggesting that the same oppression has happened to him.

Quote:
the number one freedom that you and I have is the freedom to enter into a subservient role in the workplace.
'You and I'. The way that reads makes it seem he places himself in the same category as the seriously oppressed. But if you don't assume that Rage are pretending to be the victims, and that they are just relaying the message, then it's fine.

Last edited by DontRunMeOver; 03-19-2007 at 06:43 AM.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote