Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #363 (permalink)
Moon Pix
In a very sad sad zoo

Location: "Out on tour with Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids, they don't have no function"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
And to both of you, I'd ask who is allowed to complain then, the uneducated, under payed masses? Should they devote their non-existent time between three jobs to make social commentary on the world?
If I was working a 12 hour day the last thing Id be thinking about wouyld be politics. Id be more concerned with enjoying the 4 hours before bed time.

Im working an 8 hour day as it is and thats enough to make me value my leisure time enough to not worry about politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Politics for some reason is the most polarizing topic I've ever seen. And for an unexplained reason, those uninterested are actively uninterested and try to belittle, downplay or change the subject every time it comes up. I suspect that with music its no different.
Id just like to make it clear that Im not 100% against politics in entertainment. I think that Public Enemy in particular were coming from a real place were there were real problems and talked about them very effectively. Im just against spoilt kids moaning about having to work for a living when everybody else has to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
The only issue I have with Rage is that Tom Morello, in statements like the one somebody quoted a few posts ago, seems to be trying to ingratiate himself with those who are seriously oppressed by suggesting that the same oppression has happened to him.

'You and I'. The way that reads makes it seem he places himself in the same category as the seriously oppressed. But if you don't assume that Rage are pretending to be the victims, and that they are just relaying the message, then it's fine.
Thats exactly what I said. He and they arent seriously opressed. Theyre complaining about nothing because they have nothing to complain about. When Jello Biafra sang "You'll work hard with a gun in your back for a bowl of rice a day" in the song "Holiday In Cambodia" he was taking the p*ss out of people who think like Tom Morello. I personally don't want to hear somebody complaining about having to go to work as if its the same thing as being f*cking coshed by the rozzers just for being black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
Well, I can think of one reason. They were both kinda ****ed in the head. That kind of thing probably blinds people to a lot of what is going on in the external world.
Maybe for some people but I think if you read some of the things that Cobain said about homophobia and sexism in society its plain to see that he did have a social conscience, maybe not to the point of worrying about the arms budget and wether buying a McDonald's meal was going to contribute to it but he was certainly concerned about things on an everyday human level.

Last edited by Moon Pix; 03-19-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Moon Pix is offline   Reply With Quote