Music Banter - View Single Post - From the Diary of a Revolutionary
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
ItsRed
Music Addict

The idea, the hope of expanding personal experience beyond what's available in the horrible ordinary everydays, the rejecting the elements of enculturaion, isn't a bad place to write.

This piece is really more a 'characterization' than a story though. I'm not sure how far you are into your creative writing course, but if you're going to write stories, one thing to think about is Arc, in concerns of both the character and plot.

Instead of being 18 and already committed to the revolution, start with the character 18 and looking at some element of his past where he didn't desire to be a revolutionary.

Example: The little dweeb in the photograph I'm looking at is me, I'm eight years old. [A few sentence about how the eight year old varies, or obtains the seeds of desire to fight. (contrived? sure, but effective)]

Another example would be to start in medias res. In the middle.

Example: The cops are coming through the doors. This is me, my big deal. Holy. Shit.

Then go back to the start with some provocation of being a revolutionary. It doesn't have to be big, but it should be more personal than the Cobain aversion crumb.

The ending is just as void of arc as the start, but what makes it worse is the characters' own unrealized grandiose delusion. It makes it read like wishful thinking, there should be some growth, or a realization that growth is impossible. You have some good description of the hysteria in the crescendo, this could be a porthole to elevation, or acceptance, or some connection/ escape from the world he's fighting against, but it's none of the above.

There are quite a few inconsistencies even if you want to leave it as a characterization. He wants to exact change, but then learns (?) that he just really wants to piss people off instead and find his own escape in manipulating audience feeling??? Why???? Oh, it's cool. (As a reader, if you wanted to piss me off, you succeeded. Congratulations!). If this is what he learns, the learning needs to take place.

I don't think you're really concerned with the quality of writing from a literary point so I'm not going to go into other issues.

And if it you just wanted a comment of 'cool,' or 'not cool'....it's both.