Music Banter - View Single Post - Selling out
Thread: Selling out
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimintheundertow View Post
Maybe you should go listen to some classical or something if you're in search of top quality composers.
Yeah, I'm so un-hip for appreciating beautiful music.

Quote:
But I rather listen music with character and color that stays kind of close to folk ethics, music of the people that is for one's own pleasure.
I fail to see how you get pleasure out of that vile crap.

And its not like I'm not in the know, I've heard a lot of this stuff because it had been so frequently recomended to me.

Quote:
Built to Spill and Modest Mouse really arent THAT horrible.
Yeah they are.

And for the record, since Urban brought up the prog card, it strikes me odd how so many of you diss prog for being "pretentious" (a coin term for selfish/self absorbed) yet you think art should be "selfish". Well here I am to clue you in, bands like Genesis and King Crimson aren't selfish at all, because they compose music with the goal of pleasing people with an appreciation for complex and beautiful music, and they succeed. And they do get personal with their art, they do enjoy what they do and they do believe what they write. So for people to really say prog/art rock bands are pretentious wankers who give no "feeling or personality" to their music is a load of crap, propagonda if you will to promote a ignorant, closeminded view of music which is that all music MUST be primitive and with lyrics that have to involve lyrics about politics, relationships, personal philosophies and pretty much nothing else because it becomes "pretentious". For me the real bands who are pretentious are those who pretend to be worth listening to, that fits the bill perfectly for Modest Mouse.

Now I'm not an all around alternative rock hater, because Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Flaming Lips, Pixies and Pavement are among my favorite bands. But I sincerely believe most Indie today is rubbish, and not the stuff no one cares about, its the stuff everybody loves, the stuff they love because it makes them feel "hip and underground". Nothing has proven to me that these bands respect music, they're cattering strictly to people with genuine attraction to intentionally bad music, bands people force themselves to like because they have a severe identity/non conformity crisis, which in an ironic turn of events makes indie fans the biggest conformists of them all. You have taught yourselfs to hate all that is good about music, you simply can't stand good music. Your tastes is the anti-good. And you oppress all those that appreciate good.

Really, I say all this as it is my honest opinion, its not out of spite or some attempt at revenge for you smearing almost every band I respect, its due to my belief that you, Swimintheundertow, have the worst taste in music I've ever seen. EVER.

Call me smug, call me mean, call me nasty, these things are all true but to point them out yourself would make you a hypocrite, being a part of the overall Indie herd its almost somewhat of a duty for you to nitpick about everyone with an even remotely different preference than yours. This is what indie fans do, its what they always do and have always done, and it is why I dispise them so. Adoring godawful music is barely a scratch on the surface.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 03-24-2007 at 04:00 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote