Music Banter - View Single Post - Selling out
Thread: Selling out
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I don't have a problem with artists being signed to sony , in fact some of my favourite artists are on that label.I'll tell you exactly what my problem with RATM is.
Let's compare them to another political artist signed to Sony , Billy Bragg.

Billy Bragg spent nearly 2 decades putting out records , was openly active in the political arena , gave his time & name to causes he believed in all the time and spoke in depth about these causes.Some might argue his going to Sony was him selling out. I disagree , I think after 2 decades of hard work ,raising awareness of causes and generally giving up so much of his career to these causes he deserved a little bit in return and the benefits that come with being signed to a major.

Compare that to RATM who despite being anti establishment went straight to Sony after they made a tape & got signed ,don't you find that odd? A band so anti establishment they go straight to one of the biggest conglomerates in the world?
did absolutly nothing in the political arena and who's basic political philosophy is a small meaningless slogan that'll fit on a T-shirt that they'll sell for £15 a go.And giving their name to a few token causes to show just how political they are.

Now before you say anything i'd just like to point out I don't like either RATM or Billy Bragg musically , but Billy has my respect & RATM don't.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote