Music Banter - View Single Post - The White Stripes
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #289 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
While I completely disagree with your point here Boo Boo, this phrase you've used here is amazing. I mean, someones point of view can be questionable? Not even Reagan could cook up this kind of brilliance.

To challenge, You can absolutely tell when someone has experienced something their singing about, and you know full well when they have not. If you can't tell, I'd chalk it up to an inexperienced ear, or perhaps some just have a predilection toward distinguishing one from the other. I myself have no issue deciphering when someone is remembering how they felt when they sing about an issue that has effected them deeply, and when their trying to sing a song note-perfect.

Its like speech writing, some people want to convey a message, some people just want to get to the podium and back to their seat without stumbling over their words or the rug.
I wouldn't compare music to speech writing, because while you're at it you might as well say all instrumentalists suck.

Its enforcing these kinda pointless limitations that makes me dislike so much of todays music. Bands don't have to all sing about the same thing, "sing about your life experiences, or else". I view music as escapism, you're creating your own sonic environment, your own fantasy universe if you will, to hell with applying other peoples logic I say. If you want to sing about your life experience, fine, you want to sing about fairies and dragons, thats also fine. You can also be emotional singing about fairies and dragons, Frank Black gets emotional singing about Monkeys, why not?

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote