Music Banter - View Single Post - Surprised there isnt a 10 page thread already....
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
^ They got a puppet government who has been suspected (with lots of evidence surrounding) of sponsoring death squads to kill supporters. How exactly is said "puppet government" to be of any use to the US if the country is running itself back to the stone ages with a bloody civil war. What war are you following when you say it's not over? The recent months have been some of the most deadly for american troops. And your attiutude towards the iraqi people is disgusting. There are hundreds of entirely innocent civilians being killed daily still.
I apologize if I came off unsympathetic. But the fact remains that this mayhem didn't exist when Saddam was at power. The differences between those two sects and their past is too great a burden, the carnage will continue indefinitely. The hate just runs too deep, and fundamentalism is still an alluring option to many...what do you think the reason for that is if not pure savagery and backwardness? I had a similar discussion on a different forum and it was suggested that the seed for this situation was set when Great Britain divided the country by privileging one of the sects, letting them govern the rest ruthlessly. So maybe the west does hold a lot of responsibility for the current situation, but I don't see what they can do to remedy it now. They're obviously incapable of resolving their issues civilly...

I see an endless cycle of violence...and I really don't know what anyone can do to stop it. Obviously international troops will need to stay for a lot longer...but forgive me for saying this, I certainly wouldn't sacrifice my life or anyone I know for those people. Why should Americans or any other nation that has troops there? It is a matter they need to figure out themselves...take their lives into their own hands for once...

As far as the war still going on, I agree, but from what I hear now it's a war amongst themselves. Much more Iraqis die than Americans...

A strong government would certainly be better than absolute mayhem, but I think the Americans' primary concern is securing the oil. And that they would have to do with soldiers and brute force regardless of whether the Iraqis were killing themselves or not. One thing the Iraqis do have in common is the hate for America (and probably all westerners, I haven't seen them discriminate too much on that basis). Their further presence there will only make the hate grow stronger.

In any case, it's 6am and I really shouldn't talk about an issue I have little to no real interest in. I end up spouting contradictory bullshit, like this post for instance...

Last.fm

Last edited by adidasss; 03-29-2007 at 09:38 PM.
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote