Music Banter - View Single Post - Crowquill Albums Recommendation's Thread.
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Default Crowquill Albums Recommendation's Thread.

This is the thread where I write mini-reviews and upload my favorite albums and you all check them out fuh sho. I'm also going to include three or four songs so you can get a general idea on how the album sounds.

I'm going to try and make the reviews short, one paragraph describing the artist, maybe two or so describing the album, and then my general thoughts on it.

Elliott Smith "Figure 8"

Label: DreamWorks
Release Date: April 18, 2000
Genre: Indie-Rock/Singer-Songwriter/Baroque Pop
Tracklist:
1. Son of Sam
2. Somebody That I Used to Know
3. Junk Bond Trader
4. Everything Reminds Me of Her
5. Everything Means Nothing to Me
6. L.A.
7. In the Lost and Found (Honky Bach)/The Roost
8. Stupidity Tries
9. Easy Way Out
10. Wouldn't Mama Be Proud?
11. Color Bars
12. Happiness/The Gondola Man
13. Pretty Mary K
14. I Better Be Quiet Now
15. Can't Make a Sound
16. Bye

Elliott Smith is an american singer/songwriter who spent the majority of his life in Portland, Oregon. Hes probably my favorite artist and extremely talented having produced a few albums aside from his own and being an amazing lyricists and one of the best acoustic guitar players i've heard. His sound varies quite a bit from his mellow acoustic stuff like Twilight to his full band stuff like King's Crossing. Vocally he does alot of multi-tracking on his songs and it sounds amazing because he has such an angelic voice, a good example of this would be his beatles cover Because.

This is Elliott's fifth album named after a school house rock song which he covered but it didn't make the album (if anyones interested i'll up the track, its a very haunting song). The album shows a maturing from XO, expanding on him using a wider variety of instruments and showing his Beatles influence more on tracks like Junk Bonder Trader and Son Of Sam though his soft acoustic songs are still there in tracks like Everything Reminds Me Of Her and Easy Way out.

Its one of the best singer/songwriters albums i've ever heard just because it isn't your typical acoustic album theres a lot of full band stuff, mostly played by him and he experiments with different genres, you hear a definite pop influence in a lot of the tracks like LA though his moody acoustic style is there. I like this album a lot just because it shows a lot of sides of him as a musician.

This is probably my favorite Elliott Smith album at the moment and I think its his most varied musically and shows his talents as a producer, and musician best. I think its an amazing album from beginning to end just because of how it all fits and how much of a trip it is to listen to it, from Son Of Sam to Bye which is one of the most beautiful pieces of piano i've ever heard.

Link: hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?2mzdgzknozd
Sample Tracks:
Son Of Sam
Easy Way Out
Wouldn't Mama Be Proud?
Bye
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote