Music Banter - View Single Post - And the best drummer in the world right now, and arguably of all time is...
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Congrats you can write fragmented lines about a cliche metal topic! They also write about Moby Dick which is equally amazing. Lordi writes better lyrics than this.

See when I read that I think you're buttering up the fact hes unoriginal and not good. I don't like Corgans voice either.

I don't see how they stand out from all the other metal bands.
Regarding the lyrics: the fragmentary nature of it is precisely the idea. They are even written in order to get that exact point across, i.e. that they are fragmentary and unrelated, in the CD artwork booklet (each sentence is separated from the next by fairly large circles, as if separating the names of two different songs. That the theme is clichéd is a rather moot point, as what metal themes these days are not? The main purpose of their lyrics is simply to conjure up an image that fits the mood of the music, and they do that just fine.

About the voice, I'm not buttering anything up. I admit that he hasn't got a particularly good voice. Neither does the other vocalist. But they make it work somehow, and the result is part of the appeal for those who like the sound - hence the comparison with Corgan.

There's no point arguing in favor of standing out vs not. There are literally dozens if not hundreds of tentative variables that come into those sorts of discussions. Ultimately, it's all perception and subjectivity anyway; if something doesn't stand out to one person, nothing's going to convince them otherwise.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote