Music Banter - View Single Post - Sex Pistols vs. Ramones
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #251 (permalink)
visualsynergy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
He didn't need to. His job of fabricating a band for his own benefit was already done.
I have the opinion that neither the Sex Pistols or the Ramones are punk.
The reason I say this, is that the Ramones were not even classed as a punk band by British punks at the time the Pistols were doing their thing, that came later.
And as the scene grew in England (which is ironic because punk was deemed dead by the music press after the Pistols ended) the Sex Pistols were looked down on by 'real punks', after McClaren was seen for what he was...a manipulator out for a quick killing.
Where did you get your information from? He may have manipulated the members of the band and got them at eachother's throats just to create a false sense of chaos, but the lyrics, ideas, and sound all came from the Pistols themselves and Malcolm really had no say artistically because he really wasn't that creative from what others have said. Read Johnny Rotten's biography and watch The Filth and the Fury to get a better understanding of who The Sex Pistols really were. The Ramones were labeled punk only because they were part of the alternative wave of groups to come out in the 70's in America, which also included Talking Heads and Blondie, so I'll give you that one. But the Pistols helped create the sound and philosophies of the punk genre, so they definitely deserve a lot of credit for that. The Sex Pistols are basically revered today as the definitive punk band, and if anyone looked down on them because of their manipulative manager then they're idiots. Why would you judge an entire band on the guy who helped get them record deals? Many bands have had less than noble managers and they weren't looked down upon because of that. I really don't see any logic behind that.