Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you download???
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
AnastasiaBeaverhousen
Groupie

1. Do you download legally or illegally? Why is this?
Both. Sometimes I'll use iTunes to purchase music if I know I will never buy the CD. For lesser known artists, I will buy their CDs out of respect and to genuinely support them.

2. Do you feel that illegally downloading music takes away the artists rights? Is it stealing from the artist?
No, in fact, I think that in most cases it helps artists. In terms of accessiblity, lots of artists (especially local and indie) can't reach their audience or don't have an audience with CDs alone. When I get a recommendation from someone, I don't immediately run out to buy that CD because music is so subjective. I don't know whether I'll like that particular artist or not but being able to download opens a plethora of music opportunities. Also, there are rarities that you simply can't get without downloading.

As for stealing, CD sales are consistently on the rise so I hardly think that's really an issue anymore.

3. What are your opinions on the legality of downloading music?
Err, see question two.

4. If you do download music, why download rather than buy from the shops?
I download so that I know what I'm buying. I'm a big fan of being able to "try before you buy," so to speak. I prefer CDs, I like the linear notes and CD art, etc. But I have no problem downloading. Why buy an entire album for one or two songs?

5.Which downlaoding software do you use and why?
uTorrent and a few P2Ps
AnastasiaBeaverhousen is offline   Reply With Quote