Music Banter - View Single Post - Why metal will never again be the dominant genre
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
Voodoo Chile
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
Blackened death metal is quite a valid genre - if you listen to enough death metal, the need for that label becomes instantly obvious. A blackened death metal band like Abominator sounds quite different to a melodeath band like Dark Tranquillity.
Why is there a need for any label? I mean, I guess it's just a personal thing. I've never felt the need to call Meshuggah "Technical Post-Thrash", or call Opeth "Progressive/Melodic Death Metal". They're just metal bands to me. No, they don't sound the same, but they're both fundamentally metal bands. Like I said, I can understand why some of the broader subgenres might be useful, "Thrash Metal", "Doom Metal", etcetera. I mean, while My Dying Bride and Slayer are both metal bands, they don't sound very much alike. So, sure, I can appreciate the more expansive subgenres, but I've never felt the need to go any deeper than that, personally.

Quote:
They only sound virtually identical to the bands you already like (i.e. Slayer) if you're not very familiar with the genre.
I used to listen to nothing but metal. I'm familiar with most styles of it, and I can honestly say that a lot of the bands I listened to were just ripping each other off. Though I didn't realize it at the time.

Quote:
That's quite a bold/cynical statement to say that all thrash/speed metal bands either try to sound like Slayer or sound nearly identical to them.
I never said all thrash metal bands are trying to sound like Slayer. I said that, to me, many of these "sub-subgenres", or in some cases, even subgenres, aren't very useful at all. But I guess that's just me. When I look for music, I'm looking for something original - something I've never really heard before. Sure, I like Tool, but I don't really care to hear a bunch of bands that sound essentially the same as Tool. That's why I got bored of listening to (some) metal. Sorry to generalize, but the fast-picked E's and jumbled shrieking were only stimulating for so long.

Last edited by Voodoo Chile; 04-12-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Voodoo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote