Music Banter - View Single Post - gots me an ipod, but iz too retarded to use it
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
AnastasiaBeaverhousen
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba View Post
Yes but batteries will last and perform much longer if you consistantly run it down to say 5-10% and charge it, then if you only let it run down to 60% before sticking it on the charger.
I'm not sure what the issue is here as you are essentially reiterating what I'm saying. I never stated a particular percentage, because it doesn't matter. Partial charges are still partial charges. I never said 5-10%, I said complete drains, which is 0%. 5-10% is still a partial charge and by charging it at 5-10%... that's a "top up".

Show me where 60% is stated to be better than 5-10%, please. I'm genuinely interested in where you're getting your information from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Well no because if you only use half the power , then charge it up instead of using the half that was already in there you are charging energy into it you don't need. If you do that twice you've basically wasted a full charge.
The difference is that you don't drain the battery completely in one go, which is an entire discharge gone. It's widely known (okay, I guess since we're at this impasse, not widely) that with lithium-ion batteries, you cannot deplete the battery completely all the time. It performs better on partial charges.

Haha, I'm not some crazy person just pulling this out of nowhere. I own four iPods, for better or worse. I've done my research.

Check out: Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or iPod and iPhone Battery FAQ

Guidelines for prolonging Lithium-ion battery life:
  • Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.
  • Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
  • Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to empty (0%).
AnastasiaBeaverhousen is offline   Reply With Quote