Music Banter - View Single Post - The Nick Drake Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Folk-loving folk continue plumbing the archives of sorely-missed English singer-songwriter Nick Drake, who was emo before you were even born, kid. This time they've come up with the previously mentioned Family Tree, a 28-track collection that brings together-- for the very first time-- a number of rare Drake cuts recorded prior to his first album, quite a few covers, and a handful of added surprises.

Family Tree takes root in record stores June 19, thanks to the efforts of Tsunami LG/Fontana and Drake's estate manager, one Cally, who produced the compilation. Along with relicts from Mr. Drake's formative years-- culled from old reel-to-reel and cassette recordings-- the set also includes two songs performed by Nick's mother, Molly, and a duet between Nick and sister Gabrielle Drake.

As Gabrielle writes in a "letter" to Nick included with the collection, "I hope that, in the circumstances, you could have given Family Tree your blessing. Or if not, that you could have at least looked on with that wry smile of yours."

A few more things to smile wryly upon: Drake covering Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow Is a Long Time", Bert Jansch's "Strolling Down the Highway", Robin Frederick's "Been Smokin' Too Long", Dave Van Ronk's "If You Leave Me", and several tunes by Jackson C. Frank; Nick rocking the clarinet alongside aunt and uncle on Mozart's "Kegelstatt Trio"; a pair of early versions of songs from Drake's first LP, Five Leaves Left; a free, gold-embossed official Nick Drake Fan Club kazoo*.

Check back later in 2007 for your next Drake fix, an expanded edition of the Fruit Tree box set that collects the man's three LPs and a DVD of the documentary A Skin Too Few. Vinyl and CD formats should descend before the end of the year.

Family Tree:

01 Come in to the Garden (Introduction)
02 They're Leaving Me Behind
03 Time Piece
04 Poor Mum [performed by Molly Drake]
05 Winter Is Gone
06 All My Trials [performed by Nick and Gabrielle Drake]
07 Kegelstatt Trio for Clarinet, Viola and Piano
08 Strolling Down the Highway
09 Paddling in Rushmere
10 Cocaine Blues
11 Blossom