Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #109 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

I think folk can be innovated, you can approach it differently. I probably sound narrow minded bring up bright eyes over and over but its late and I can't think. You have screamy and loud folk like that and daniel johnston and then you have chill and lax stuff like Drake, or Iron and Wine. Then you have people like Elliott Smith who expand on it, he didn't at first and I guess the stuff on Figure 8 and From A Basement On the Hill and sort of XO wasn't really folk but he expanded on his sound which was folk, I don't know I can't really explain it properly. A better one just hit me, you have Patrick Wolf who takes folk music and broadens it and incorporates alot of different instruments as well as a huge amount of electronic music into it, it may not be that folk anymore but the sound is still apparent in the more folkish songs.

Also on the influence subject they were influenced not just taking his sound, they expanded on it which I basically covered in the above post.

I don't really know much about the era and reading that was kind of a surprise because I read the Bob Dylan chronicles and I could tell he was being humble but I didn't realize how humble until following it up a bit more. I was aware he was a prophet but he really played it down in those books, he talked about them breaking into his houses and how he wanted to alienate them, which is why he did all the image stuff at one point.

To answer your question I don't think Conor could have.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote