Music Banter - View Single Post - Why metal will never again be the dominant genre
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #51 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
Blackened death metal is quite a valid genre - if you listen to enough death metal, the need for that label becomes instantly obvious. A blackened death metal band like Abominator sounds quite different to a melodeath band like Dark Tranquillity.
A famous sailor once said "thats all I can stands I can't stands no more."

its not "if you listen to enough" its "if you only listen to."

Metal tends to be highly insular, and because they exist in only a land of metal, you have a lot of these people noticing the differences between one band and another and matching them with genres. You can't say to a metal fan "[band x] is in [genre x]" without them saying "well actually their more [genre y]." If you don't believe me, go look at every metal thread on a band or sub-genre and you'll see those arguments conducted.

This happens in other genres but to a much smaller degree since most other genres tend to lend themselves to diversification, allowing in other types of music in the interest of what sounds good.

The only two genres that metal follows is classical and jazz, whose purists also have enough sub-genres to bore the **** out of anyone with a mildly curiosity in the music form.

Sub-genres only serve to prevent people from trying out new things. If you couldn't say "I listen to agrarian Russian rap-polka and maybe some Chicago blues" then their wouldn't be a reason to listen to something that wasn't labeled as one of those two genres.