Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #1313 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
I seriously doubt that a well designed, highly advanced A.I. would have a hard time playing what The Fall and Stiff Little Fingers play, especially when considering that a 9 year old can do it.

It's comments like this that make me wonder if you have read a word I have said about only looking at things from one perspective. So The Falls music isn't difficult to play? Well no sh*t , if you have ever bothered to read about them you'll find that people like them because they are chaotic & unpredictable with some damn good lyrics and never knowing what the band will come out with next whether it be Garage Rock , Techno or a Ballet.Not because people want a nicely played series of chords.
You could argue that The Jesus & Mary Chain just did easy to play 60s pop songs only with tons of drone & feedback , which is true , but they were the first to think of that idea in the first place , creating something different & original to counter the over produced rubbish of the mid 80s , do you see now?

Quote:
Many progressive rock bands don't lack in individuality, uniqueness or idealogy, not in the slightest... I said it time and time again that you can't measure something as trivial as emotion... Emotion is completely insignificant when it comes to quality performance, I can be a spinal surgeon who is passionate about what I do, but if I don't have the slightest idea about treating a fracture in the L4 Vertebrate, then regardless of how I feel, I am an unreliable surgeon.

I can take a dump and put a lot of "passion" into squeezing out that hard one, in the long run it's still just a piece of sh*t.
Again you seem to be under the impression i'm on about the playing side of things. When I say emotion i'm not talking about the guitarist scrunching his face up during the 58 minute solo of 'Hobbits from Hobbitland Part VII' I'm talking about lyrics written from life experiences that I can relate to. The kind of song that sends shivers down your spine because you have lived it. THAT'S the kind of thing i'm talking about when I talk about emotion.

Quote:
Indeed, and it takes a lot of talent to be able to write songs that don't conform to the average song structure (verse, bridge, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, pentatonic solo, verse, bridge, chorus)...

Judging from what you have always implied, if a intro or outro lasts longer than 30 seconds, it is wank, if its a instrumental, it is wank, if there are more than four beats per measure, it is wank, if the note value that constitutes one beat is more than 4, it is wank, if it's not strictly pentatonic, it is wank, if counterpoint is used frequently, it is wank, if any instrument other than guitar plays lead, it is wank, if a chord progression is more than 3 chords, it is wank, if a song has more than one solo, it is wank, if a song qualifes as a epic or a suite, it is wank.

You think everything is wank.
I don't have anything against long songs at all , you seem to be forgetting how much I enjoy Can & Hawkwind to name but 2. 'Wank' (which I never even said anything about I should add) to me is pointless showing off , (and I still maintain drum solos are the worst idea ever in the history of rock music BTW).
Go listen to the 10 minute version of I Am The Ressurrection by the Stone Roses , that has an extended guitar solo in it , do I hate it? no ... because it compliments the song brilliantly , it's funky and it just fits in beautifully , It's not John Squire drowning out the rest of the band while he goes off on a Jimmy Page ego trip , which sadly he decided to do on their Second Coming album.

Quote:
I don't recall prog bands not being able to do this.
Never said they didn't , Is this Boo Boo the prog defender looking for something to fight about that isn't there.

Quote:
I don't consider myself a Muso... What I know is not advanced knowledge for professional musicians, because I am not a professional musician, I don't know music theory, what I know is common sense.
Thats a very narrow view of common sense

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.