Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #1314 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sensitive View Post
You're just as bad when you are going on about boo boo and Led Zeppelin.
Yeah theres no particular reason or point i'm trying to make everytime I bring Zeppelin up out of nowhere to bash them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
You don't even know what music is do you? It is movement for the sake of function. Its organized sound that is composed in 3 ways (Melody, Harmony and Rhythm), there is absolutely nothing else music needs to be, and if you think there is you're a fool. Thinking that music needs "feeling, passion, emotion" and a whole bunch of other completely subjective, immeasurable bullsh*t is just a poor way of justifying your ignorance.
Lawl, hes ignorant this coming from the man who called someones opinion subjective and then bullshit.

Quote:
I take it that what you mean by this is that if a band actually knows how to play sheet music, and they play what they read, it's robotic... Not all music has to be f*cking careless half written, half performed punk rock anthems with badly out of tuned guitars, some music is just programed, like classical and electronica, but prog of course puts a lot of emphasis on improvisation, so once again you don't even have the slightest idea what you are talking about.
Hahaha, so just because it isn't prog its a "half written half performed punk rock anthem with badly out of tuned guitars"? Christ, music doesn't have to be shitty to have passion. You're basically making stupid generalizations, though it shouldn't be shocking by now. I'd consider Patrick Wolf very passionate yet hes still classically trained and ridiculously talented, same with Piglet, Yo La Tengo, Modest Mouse, etc.

Quote:
There is art in everything, just because you don't like it dosen't mean it isn't art, I think Jackson Pollock is the worst painter of all time, but I can't deny the fact that he is an artist, so don't tell me George Seurat wasn't an artist just because he had the audacity to actually apply technical know-how and discipline to his work.

Clearly we have very different preferences in art... You prefer music that suggests modernism and absract expressionism (which I dispise, but wont deny as an art form) where no discipline and just a vague understanding of the painting process is required while I prefer music that suggests impressionism and post-impressionism where at least some discipline and craftsmanship is key... The main difference here is I only talk about my preference and bands I think are either good or bad regardless of their genre, because I don't think a genre determines weither a band will be good or not. You talk about a whole bunch of unnecessary restrictions and what music should and shouldn't be... But in reality there is nothing that music needs other than the 3 things that make the basis for all music theory, which is Melody, Harmony and Rhythm.
LOL@bolded part, I don't feel like dragging up quotes but the amount of times you've gone around saying indie sucks, I think you're the biggest hypocrite here.

Quote:
If they think it makes or break or song, then yes, they are ignorant.
Personal preference = ignorance.

Quote:
I seriously doubt that a well designed, highly advanced A.I. would have a hard time playing what The Fall and Stiff Little Fingers play, especially when considering that a 9 year old can do it.
Missing the point ftw.

Quote:
Many progressive rock bands don't lack in individuality, uniqueness or idealogy, not in the slightest... I said it time and time again that you can't measure something as trivial as emotion... Emotion is completely insignificant when it comes to quality performance, I can be a spinal surgeon who is passionate about what I do, but if I don't have the slightest idea about treating a fracture in the L4 Vertebrate, then regardless of how I feel, I am an unreliable surgeon.
I think the Ramones are a better band then any prog band i've heard. Are they "technically better?" Nope, I think you're the one using shitty analogies now.

Quote:
I don't consider myself a Muso... What I know is not advanced knowledge for professional musicians, because I am not a professional musician, I don't know music theory, what I know is common sense.
I know music theory and do extremely well in it and I still think technical music sucks.