Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #1317 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
You know alot about punk obviously.
You don't get it - I'm pointing out that not all punk is short or anti-prog for the sake of it. It would be stupid to say it is - about as stupid as the original prog comment.

Quote:
Thats a pretty bad generalization that has nothing to do with music.
You still don't get it. I listen to a lot of alt rock. I'm just pointing out that saying that alt rock bands all have long song names and are pretentious for having them is about as stupid as the original comment on prog.

Quote:
Cause jazz is the only genre that has different chord progressions right?
I don't recall myself saying that. But a stupid person would say that jazz has different chord progressions for the sake of it. That would be about as stupid as the original comment on prog.

You've clearly completely missed the point of my post. I was making stupid comments/generalisations about genres, then following them by "But it's not true". I was pointing out those comments were about as stupid as saying that all prog is boring and pretentious. Because that is a gigantic generalisation, and the word 'pretentious' gets thrown around far too much.

What's so pretentious about half of prog? OK, a lot of prog has long songs - there's nothing pretentious about that unless it's for the sake of having long songs and considering that not even all prog bands have long songs in the first place, I think it would be hard to prove that every prog band is pretentious for having long songs.

So can someone tell me why every prog band in existence is pretentious? I'm dying to know the answer.