Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #1319 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
You don't get it - I'm pointing out that not all punk is short or anti-prog for the sake of it. It would be stupid to say it is - about as stupid as the original prog comment.

You still don't get it. I listen to a lot of alt rock. I'm just pointing out that saying that alt rock bands all have long song names and are pretentious for having them is about as stupid as the original comment on prog.

I don't recall myself saying that. But a stupid person would say that jazz has different chord progressions for the sake of it. That would be about as stupid as the original comment on prog.

You've clearly completely missed the point of my post. I was making stupid comments/generalisations about genres, then following them by "But it's not true". I was pointing out those comments were about as stupid as saying that all prog is boring and pretentious. Because that is a gigantic generalisation, and the word 'pretentious' gets thrown around far too much.

What's so pretentious about half of prog? OK, a lot of prog has long songs - there's nothing pretentious about that unless it's for the sake of having long songs and considering that not even all prog bands have long songs in the first place, I think it would be hard to prove that every prog band is pretentious for having long songs.

So can someone tell me why every prog band in existence is pretentious? I'm dying to know the answer.
No I completely understood the point of the post it was just stupid and repetitive with not very well thought out generalizations. See you basically said my opinion on prog isn't true, i'm all for arguing opinions but to flat out dismiss it in that manner? Pretty stupid especially without even bothering asking until after telling me I don't understand and my opinion is already untrue.

I think prog is pretentious because every prog band i've heard has been boring, overly technical to where it just sounds like they're trying to be technical, and most of them think they're the best thing to happen to music. Like Dream Theatre for instance. Prog fans thinking prog is the only good genre of music doesn't help either.