Music Banter - View Single Post - Emo is the best punk music
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #58 (permalink)
Blain
w0rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsynergy View Post
Just saw this post. I agree that Fugazi and Cursive aren't "Emo" but they have been referred to as Emo in the past when Emo was just a word used to label post-punk or indie that no one really had a specific name for yet. So I absolutely agree that introspection and emotions don't equal Emo. But there is such a thing as new-age Emo, with bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco and AFI and whoever else. Which is just poppy bands pretending to be punk or post-punk or "Emo" or whatever and marketing mild depression and thoughts of suicide to young teenagers. Genre standards may not change, but the messages found in the music and image does and this new-age Emo is just a way to sell records while telling kids it's ok to drown in your own misery and never have to take care of any of your problems because that's the cool thing to do.
I wouldn't ever call AFI emo, even wth their older stuff. Black Sails etc hardcore, Decemberunderground pop punk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperHurricanesAndPlanes View Post
I hate MTV. MTV blows so much ass. I also hate AFI.
Ima guess you've only heard Decemberunderground. Specially seeing as you compared Bright Eyes to Bad Religion yet Bright Eyes easily smack the **** out of them.