Music Banter - View Single Post - Democratic Candidates
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Dave
Me and The Major

Quote:
He has taken some positions on foreign policy issues that some free market libertarians do not commonly hold. He opposes illegal immigration, and has called for a constitutional amendment to revise the Fourteenth Amendment. This amendment was added in order to naturalize former slaves, but it currently grants automatic citizenship to children of illegal immigrants. He has expressed concerns that welfare and other aid programs have made the US a magnet for illegals, and that uncontrolled immigration is increasing welfare payments and exacerbating the strain on an already highly unbalanced federal budget.

Paul believes that all immigrants should be treated fairly and equally under the law. He has spoken strongly against amnesty for illegal immigrants because it undermines the rule of law and grants pardons to lawbreakers [9]. Paul voted "yes" on the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which authorizes the construction of an additional 700 miles of double-layered fencing between the U.S and Mexico.
That does not say that he wants to ship them all back over merely that they become citizens. However, I don't like the fence bit at all, that wasn't there when i read this a couple of months ago. Most illegals do not pay an income tax or social security as the majority of them are payed under the table. I agree that they do jobs that we don't want to and that need to be done, but they could do the same job, get payed a bit more and actually pay taxes and such.

I think that abolishing the income would work well, there really is no need for it. Plus, he wants to get rid of the National bank/Federal bank:

Quote:
His opposition to the Federal Reserve is supported by an economic theory known as Austrian Business Cycle Theory, which holds that instead of containing inflation, the Federal Reserve, in theory and in practice, is responsible for causing inflation. In addition to eroding the value of individual savings, this creation of inflation leads to booms and busts in the economy. Thus Paul argues that government, via a central bank (the Federal Reserve), is the primary cause of economic recessions and depressions. He has stated in numerous speeches that most of his colleagues in Congress are unwilling to abolish the central bank because it funds many government activities. He says that to compensate for eliminating the "hidden tax" [10] of inflation, Congress and the president would instead have to raise taxes or cut government services, either of which could be politically damaging to their reputations. He also endorses defederalization of the healthcare system. Paul's campaign slogan for 2004 was "The Taxpayers' Best Friend!". [11]
And he supports Free Trade and pulling our troops out.

But yeah, I agree with you on the immigration part, the fence thing is dumb and illegals to provide a service for us but they could provide an even bigger service by being citizens. I don't know all of that you mean by the "trickle down" part, but I'll look in to it.
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote