Music Banter - View Single Post - My take on the corporate whoring of emo.
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Alexander the Grape
Un****withable

Nice. I doubt you will get through to the majority, but if you can save even one soul it will be worth it.

Even here in Wyoming most people have the total wrong idea of what emo really is. This didn't bug me before, when I even knew MTV "emo" wasn't real emo but I didn't personally listen to real emo, but now I get annoyed when people use the term emo in a derogatory manner. Just the other day I shut down a friend of mine (kindof) who was going to research emo for a social issues paper. He thought "emos" were a threat to society. I asked him to name some emo bands, and you can guess who he named. Then I told him those were as emo as punk bands on MTV are punk. Since he at least realizes that those bands do not represent real punk, I think I was able to make an impact on him. He knows I'm into the underground music scenes and respects my opinion on that kind of stuff (I'm not sure if he should or not).

Sorry that that was pretty long and not really on topic, but there's only one other kid around here who knows about real emo music, and its nice to vent to some people who understand. Good luck with your facebook crusade thing, hopefully some kids take the time to check out those bands and learn about some great music.