Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
coffeeshop
From beyond the grave

Default How much has your music taste changed over the years?

Well let's start this off with me.

I'm currently 17 and my favourite band is Sonic Youth.
I haven't joined the NME or emo bandwagon like most people I know
Yet I haven't let my taste be confined to an elitist music taste for example I still like bands like Iron Maiden and Red Hot Chili Peppers
Other bands I like are Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Chemical Brothers, Primal Scream and The Fall

I must say though my taste in music has improved so much this decade. I only really properly showed an independant interest in music at the turn of the century getting into the popular rock, pop, nu metal bands at the time like Linkin Park and Blink 182. The first single I bought while I was still in Primary school was the Gorillaz 'Clint Eastwood' and first album 'Hybrid Theory'.

By 2001/2002, though with starting a new school I got into more of the indie music like stereophonics and oasis buying their latest albums at the time. Then the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters arrived with 'By the Way' and 'One By One' and I became big fans, at which time I predictably got into Nirvana. I also got into local band The Coral around this time after hearing their fun, quite psychedelic take on indie.

By 2004 I had moved away from bands like Linkin Park and my favourite bands if you'd asked me would probably be RHCP and Nirvana. I also got more into classic rock/metal and punk with Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Sex Pistols and The Clash being some of the obvious choices. By 2005 my music taste was still limited but expanding, I went to my first gig, Supergrass, and I got into more of the other 'grunge' bands I had previously overlooked like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. I still wasn't into the latest indie music only liking a handful of bands like Bloc Party and Editors, whilst detesting bands like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers.

By the start 2006, however, I found Sonic Youth buying Daydream Nation in January quickly followed by Dirty and many more. I had found something finally which I could be proud of liking and with every record I bought by them I found something new to like which impressed me. This is when my music taste shaped to as it is now in May 2007. I got last.fm in February 2006 which gave me access to a lot more music information and recommendations which got into bands like Dinosaur Jr. and Pavement. By late last year and early this I had also started to enjoy electronic music with chemical brothers and Daft Punk (which I had first seen in the anime videos from 2001).

As it stands now I have mixed taste liking everything from Boards of Canada to Blur. I am quite ashamed how my taste in music effectively started in the dire straits of early 2000s, which looking back in my opinion was one of the worst times to like mainstream rock. I'm now trying to appreciate different types of music and get a better taste so I look forward to getting into more artists over the next few years!

I've written enough now haha now if anybody else wants to post theirs feel free. It could be a lot more interesting with people older than me who have been through more classic periods of music! (I'm hoping urban will enlighten us )
"In this Catholic Club they never had the ****ing TV on and I was going, 'That Big Brother, it won't catch on. British people won't watch that ****.' And then they went, at nine o' clock, 'Shh!' and turned the telly on! It was, like, people asleep in bed. To me, I can't understand that. The encouraging thing is, 'You were right all along, Smith: people are stupid." - Mark E Smith

Last edited by coffeeshop; 06-03-2007 at 11:20 AM.