Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Well, it all started when I was 5 years old and heard Cotton Eye Joe.

I mostly ignored music up until 6th grade, in 4th grade it was all Star Wars soundtracks and assorted crap from the radio... Bullet with Butterfly Wings was the first rock song I ever liked.

Then in fifth/sixth grade I really started listening to rock, some of my favorites were Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Disturbed, etc. Through seventh and eighth grade I basically followed that trend, I started listening to power metal, Tool, gothic metal (Type O Negative and stuff like that), Iron Maiden, etc. I guess it wasn't until my freshman year in High School (or maybe a bit before that) that I discovered punk, mostly seventies stuff and bands off of Fat Wreck (Me First and NOFX and all of those bands). I also got into ska around that time.

Then in 10th grade a stranger came into my life and handed me No Thanks! The 70's Punk Rebellion, which more or less is the greatest compilation ever made and blew my mind. Not only did I start listening to ALL the classic punk bands but I was introduced to proto-punk and post-punk simulatenously... I was now listening to Pere Ubu, The Stooges, The Pop Group, Wire, and all that good stuff. The Stooges and Velvet Underground came pretty quickly, and at some point I started listening to Frank Zappa, which blew my young impressionable mind.

From there? Post-punk led to no wave, shoegaze, noise rock, noise, industrial, etc. etc. At some point I started listening to avant-jazz and hip-hop. At some point I decided I should listen to some current bands so I checked out the whole indie scene, which also led to all this New Weird America. More avant-garde stuff, drone, minimalism, japanoise, etc. I can't keep track of it all... at this point I really don't focus on specific sub-genres I just check out bands that sound cool...

So yeah, I'm eighteen now and just graduated from High School, and most of my memories do seem to be linked to whatever music I was listening to at the time.