Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic albums any true music fan should own or at least listen to
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #322 (permalink)
josemaki
Groupie

Ok, I show my tastes here but there you go... three albums that took by storm underground music at the time leading to new subgenres.

Discharge - Realities of War (1980)
A band that influenced not only punk by spawning a whole subgenre that spread worlwide (D-BEAT, DIS-PUNK) but also the birth of THRASH METAL and European HC punk... with songs covered by "greats" like Metallica, Anthrax, Sepultura and countless others.

Minor Threat - Minor Threat (1981)
The birth of SxE hardcore punk and a landmark in punk and american hardcore comparable to Black Flag's "Damaged" or the Bad Brains but in my opinion with a worldwide influence stronger and more longlasting than BF or BB. Great musicianship and positive lyrics.

Napalm Death - S.C.U.M. (1987)
Not the first (Siege did it first) nor the best (not a pretty album by any means) but the most influential... it defined the hardcore punk and extreme metal subgenre of GRINDCORE... at the time it broke all musical conventions of song structure and what was acceptable as music... nowadays their influence can be heard in (near) mainstream music, deathmetal, metalcore, power violence... and jazz (John Zorn was a great fan of the band, recording with drummer Mick Harris in Naked City).
josemaki is offline   Reply With Quote