Music Banter - View Single Post - Someone please explain the appeal of RATM?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Get off your pretentious "I hate posers" high horse, proggie.

I didn't want to go into detail why I like Rage. I just do.

I understand that you're not one for bands like Rage and Zep. And you prefer more skilled and refined groups like Rush and PT. But Rage do have a massive appeal for people who may not be sastified with rehashed prog (you) or tiresome Kinks ripoff melodies (Urban), aside from not sounding even remotely like Limp Bizkit in anyway, they don't share the same fans with them either. Most RAGE fans are not 12 year old posers who think songs like "Down with the Sickness" and "Bodies" are super hardcore, which is what you seem to think. Rage fans I know range from punk fans to metalheads to proggies and even indie kids. They're just a good band.

People like their sound for a lot of reasons. Morello, Commerford and Delp are all good musicians, Morello has an especially original and appealing guitar style, his style is not very technical, but he has proven himself to be very skilled, he dosen't use any fancy technology to achieve those effects either. Just one crappy f*cking effects pedal is all he uses, and if you think a cheap fuzz box will automatically make you capable of crafting solos like Take the Power Back and Settle for Nothing then you got another thing coming. He designs and develops his own effects and tones, he's quite the soundsmith and overall he's a musician who knows exactly what he wants, I don't care if you hate his music, he's still worthy of some respect.

As for Zack. Well obviously not a great singer in any technical sense of the world, but he has an awesome delivery. He has a very original sounding voice too.

Overall RATM should by no means be put in the same category as Nu Metal bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, even though they do deserve some of the blame for influencing these bands. Overall I think they are the only band ever to truly make the whole Metal/Funk/Rap crossover concept work.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 06-03-2007 at 01:30 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote