Music Banter - View Single Post - Someone please explain the appeal of RATM?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #61 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
No I can't be bothered. I was listening to death metal before you were born-DEATH-SCREAM BLOODY GORE (1987), and the genre has'nt really changed in 20 years, a lot of ****e, a lot of indifferent bands and the odd half decent band rising out of the mire. NILE are doing NOTHING different to what the UK hardcore scene circa 1988 was doing except they have long hair and growl about non political/social subjects. It has nothing to do with their actual sound, but it's just not original. This sort of sound was beong banged out years ago-ENT/GENITAL DEFORMITIES/CEREBRAL FIX/BOLTHROWER/NAPALM DEATH/UNSEEN TERROR etc etc.
Well, then remain ignorant. It's all very well that you've listened to metal before a lot of people, but that causes bias. You might know about old DM but you don't know about new. If death metal hasn't changed its sound, why would old DM loyalists exist?

Nile is quite different to most death metal bands lyrically like you said. But their sound is different too... They're obsessed with Egyptian things and it shows - Egyptian scales, ambience, vocals etc... Also, their method of using dual vocals is quite uncommon. I don't know how you can say Nile is not at all original.

Check out Karl Sander's solo stuff which borders on ambient and isn't metal at all - then you'll understand why Nile sounds different to other death metal bands.

My main problem with Nile is that they get repetitive, but they are good otherwise.