Music Banter - View Single Post - Someone please explain the appeal of RATM?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #70 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
Bands still push limits within metal. You guys are just too lazy to find the right bands.
It's not a case of being lazy.
I just don't like death metal but I do like grindcore.
When I first discovered grindcore it wasn't through my friends that were into metal it was the ones that were into punk , people who would listen to bands like Crass, Christian Death , Alien Sex Fiend , Einstürzende Neubauten. Much more interesting bands than the boring thrash/power metal bands my metal friends were listening to at the time.
What attracted me to it was the way in which it was totally new and also because it was relevant , lots of those original grindcore bands were politically motivated and had a message ,the speed & the aggression came about from the way they wanted to express it , they didn't wake up one day & think 'lets be in a death metal band' and just play fast for the sake of playing fast.
For me when metal bands started interpreting grindcore in their own way they missed the point entirely. Instead of looking at the whole package they just used the speed & aggression and applied the usual metal traits to it of guitar solos , lyrics about death & destruction , gore and all the other kind of things you'd associate with metal.
Now i'm not saying that there are no talented death metal bands out there and i'm sure there are some doing original things , but at the end of the day it makes no difference to me if you mix death metal with jazz or with opera or with electronica or whatever the hell you like , it's still death metal and I still dislike it for the reasons I mentioned above.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote