Music Banter - View Single Post - Spreading your self too thin?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

I constantly feel as though I'm missing out.
I used to listen to everything and anything, but now I limit myself mostly to new upcoming Indie bands, trying hard to find something that interests me and something I haven't heard before. It's got to the point where I now have far too much music, that it's become impossible to hear it all.

Consequently, it's often the case that I miss the ones (old and new) sitting right under my nose. The White Stripes being the perfect example.
For years this band inexplicably evaded my music radar. I'd heard 'Seven Nation Army', but it took me till the release of the album, 'Get Behind Me Satan' before I tuned into them.

What I tend to do these days, is to give as many bands as I can a few quick listens and decide from there whether or not it's worth my while listening to more.
Inevitably, this leaves me with the feeling I'm missing out.
Obviously it has it's flaws, but it's the best compromise I've come up with.

MusicBanter plays an important part in influencing my, "what to listen to next list". And a good informative post that catches my eye, or a thread dedicated to a particular band with good feedback, is usually enough to to have me searching for a torrent.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote