Music Banter - View Single Post - Interesting emo/screamo music
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
chickendude
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
1905 is an awesome band, they collaborate great dueling screams into well-played instrumentals.
They also delve into acoustic in some songs, and their drummer is on fire half the time.
Their lyrics are not cheesy, they address issues present in reality that members of the band want to tackle; which, in my opinion, is better than stereotypical metaphors abundant in half the songs of most screamo bands.
Lastly, if you're going to call them out as being a bad band, don't do so by saying "they just don't push any boundaries"; more than two-thirds of screamo bands don't do anything but listen to music of a band who came two or three years before them and copy it note for note.
Having dual vocals and acoustic songs (From Autumn to Ashes had acoustic songs) is far from "pushing the boundaries". They sing about war and ignorance/blind acceptance, which are things that are important to them and nice issues to try to tackle, but bands like Portraits of Past and Union Young America sang about them over a decade before and said it much better. And then bands like Don Martin 3 told stories that are absolutely beautiful. 1905 really just can't compare lyrically. They aren't saying anything new and aren't doing anything new with their music. I appreciate the things that they stand for, I just am not going to fall in love with them when they aren't that original and so many bands of the late 80s/early 90s were far more successful in translating their political beliefs into songs.

And I don't listen to most "screamo" bands. I say the same things about them. I find pretty much any band post2k (there are exceptions) trendy and also unoriginal. 1905 is not a "screamo" band, anyway.

Matchbook Romance has similar song structures (sing/scream/sing/scream). The Assistant has those acoustic songs. In Loving Memory, CTTS, & IWSMOFFY are some popular bands that have the dueling male/female vocals.
chickendude is offline   Reply With Quote