Music Banter - View Single Post - Various Musicians Slaughter Classic Albums
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Eminem is probably the Dylan of rap, whereas Tupac just sounded like he was whining.
I agreed with everything Ronson said up until this point. Eminem, WTF?

Quote:
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
Nominated by Luke Pritchard of the Kooks
This basically told me everything I needed to know. Some shitty British Indie band that no one will even remember in 4 years shitting all over an album that's been a classic for 40 years.

Quote:

The Strokes, Is This It
Nominated by Ian Williams of Battles
I like Is This It? a lot, but is it even really a classic to anyone other than NME readers or something? Battles dude is right about all their personal history, but who really cares? This is a pretty fun garage rock album that didn't really change anyone's life, and that's that. Also, I'm pretty sure most of the people who do love this album won't really care that they're a bunch of rich kids or that Casablancas is an asshole or whatever.

Quote:
Television, Marquee Moon
Nominated by Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand

They have the ethos of a jam-band but the aesthetic of a New York outfit. If anything, the Strokes took the look of Television, the aesthetic - and the Converse sneakers - and ignored the jam-band aspect. They took those first 10 bars of Marquee Moon and did something great with it!
I like Franz Ferdinand's first album a bunch too, but fuck this guy. The Strokes, for real? The Strokes are basically a gigantic VU/Television hybrid, and all they're doing is aping them, not making it better or whatever Kapranos thinks. Seriously, I'm not even sure what he's thinking right here.

Quote:
Arcade Fire The Neon Bible
Nominated by Green Gartside of Scritti Politti
Speaking of non-classics, this? Funeral isn't even a fucking classic, but now apparently this is? I agree with most of this assessment anyway. I tend to sort of flip-flop on their first album, sometimes I like it a lot, sometimes I hate it, but Neon Bible sucked with the exception of like, two songs. Also, people are always saying how much "Indie fans" or whoever love this band, but the only person I know who loves them only loves them out of some weird sense of hometown pride, but aren't only two of these guys from Montreal anyway?

So the Arcade Fire don't even deserve to be written about is what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
The Doors LA Woman
Nominated by Craig Finn of the Hold Steady
The Hold Steady really annoyed the shit out of me until I saw them live. They were really fun, and I don't really care about the Doors, so that's all I'm really going to say.

Well, I guess I should probably point out that he's totally right about Doors and parties and shit, they're pretty much the pivotal "I'm a teenager and I think I have good taste in music because I like a really classic band" band.

Quote:
The Smiths Meat Is Murder
Nominated by Jackie McKeown of 1990s
I agree that this is their worst album, but who really cares what the guy from the 1990s thinks?
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote