Music Banter - View Single Post - Various Musicians Slaughter Classic Albums
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #62 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I don't really understand this whole 'Nick Drake is only famous because he's dead' stuff. If that is true than why did it take over 30 years after his death for him to get any recognition? Why didn't it happen before?

The reason that Nick Drake is finding an audience is because it's only now people have been able to get hold of his albums , before that apart from a box set that came out in the late 80s his music was incredibly hard to find anywhere. The same thing happened when Led Zeppelin released their stuff on CD in the late 80s , yet nobody suggests their resurgence in popularity was due to John Bonhams death.
I never said Nick Drake was only famous because he died - I really do wish people on this forum read posts properly. I never said that - what I did say was that he is more popular than he otherwise would be, because he died. Simple pattern in music which occurs.

Sure, LZ's stuff is probably more popular than it would otherwise be, because Bonham died. But bear in mind also that he is only 1/4 of the band, so the effect probably wouldn't be as great.