Music Banter - View Single Post - Phil Ochs
Thread: Phil Ochs
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Default Phil Ochs

Phil Ochs is similar to Seeger, Guthrie, Dylan and all that, though most similar to Guthrie and Seeger. Vocally hes most like Seeger music wise Guthrie. I think I may like him best because I like his lyrics best and hes more consistent with good lyrics than Dylan is. "It's always the old to lead us to the war it's always the young to fall now look at all we've won with the sabre and the gun tell me is it worth it all?"

He was a protest singer but preferred to be called a topical singer. He usually played at political events, his best known songs were "Power and the Glory", "Draft Dodger Rag", "There But for Fortune", "Changes", "Crucifixion, "When I'm Gone", "Love Me I'm a Liberal", "Links on the Chain", "Ringing of Revolution", "Outside of a Small Circle of Friends", and "I Ain't Marching Anymore". Towards the end of his life he developed various problems and eventually killed himself in 76. This was just a kind of quick summary, read more here.

Recommendations:
The Highway Man
Here's To The State Of Richard Nixon
Love Me, I'm a Liberal
Power and Glory

MySpace.com - Phil Ochs - New York, New York - Folk - www.myspace.com/loveliberals
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote