Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rolling Stones or the Beatles?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #98 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
You Beatle fans are living in the past. ER was simple song recorded during an innocent era that's long gone. The best bands are the ones that are most influential, outside of their era. That's what you call timeless. The Stones created modern rock music and flourished, while the Beatles collapsed. A big reason why the Beatles couldn’t survive in this new era was because they didn’t possess the level of musicianship of the Stones, the Who, Cream, Jim Hendrix, etc. The era of the Beatles’ simple pop tunes (Eleanor Rigby, etc.) gave way to the Super Group, so realizing they were no match musically, they wisely quit. Left alone at the top, the Stones went on to influence many bands including Aerosmith and AC/DC (Bon Scott era), both harder rocking rhythm and blues bands. Motorhead then took hard rock R&B and speeded it up. Metallica followed Motorhead and added and Industrial influence, turning the rhythm guitar into a jackhammer and turning the blues based guitar solos into a tour de force blitz krieg. After Metallica, Sepultura elevated the guitar rhythms to an extreme level. The core groove or “head-banging” experienced in thrash and first generation of death metal all directly relates back to the R&B hard rock created by Stones. On the other hand, the Beatles influence died with them in the late 60’s.
I barely agree with any of this statement-but I am drunk, so I cannot give a balanced retort. I'll be back! (without the teutonic Schwarzenegger accent!).

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”