Music Banter - View Single Post - Political activism in music - are we doing our duty
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divide and Fall Apart View Post
To be honest, I get slightly bored of musicians trying to be too political anyway....sometimes I just think "where do they get off?".

Stick to what your good at.
I never really got this argument. Musicians are citizens and therefore have a right to say whatever they want. Secondly, the stick to what you're good at part baffles me. A large amount of pundits on television and radio have no more credibility than a musician. Other than they get paid to speak about it, what does it matter?

Let me put it to you in a more assanine way. I studied politics at college, and Im going to go out on a limb and assume you didn't. That being said, what right do you have to say who can talk about politics? You shouldn't be speaking about it at all by your logic. Stick to what you're good at. I'll handle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleknowitall View Post
My problem with this is if you ask me any shred of decency and beauty left in the music industry was swiftly torn away at the beginning of the 90's and gradually it's carcuss has began to rott into this day and age.
This is more whining that todays music "sure ain't the 60's" (when you weren't alive). Boy, the grass is always greener huh?

What i think happened here is you heard some reheated political tripe by Lennon and then you heard some new green day song and lamented the death of musical intelligence.

Music is fine, and the bands that are political just aren't favorable to market-friendly office radio. Political bands have an outlet, if I want political music I can find it. I wouldn't worry so much, just stick to what you're good at.