Music Banter - View Single Post - Political activism in music - are we doing our duty
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

The thing is. Most music has a message and politics have played a part in that for a long time. So in response to "stick to what you're good at", well. For some musicians their work is very closely tied with politics. Woodie Guthrie, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Earle, John Fogerty, Public Enemy, MXPX and Rage Against The Machine are prime examples of this.

So in a way, its not just about music, theres a political agenda, and so its natural for people with beliefs to want to get their message accross, and if they have a platform to speak out on, its their god given right to use it. Isn't America great?

So no, fat idiots like Rush Limbaugh shouldn't be the only people to get paid for having an opinion. Politically outspoken musicians who write very political lyrics are pundits too, in a way.

I think politics in music is essentially a great idea. What better way to inspire people than through music, right? However there is a problem with how some musicians chose to deal with politics.

Take The Dixie Chicks for example, these are really dumb broads if you ask me. For one their music wasn't really political at all, then the fat one dissed bush and now they are liberal icons, fronting for all sorts of liberal causes. But dispite their praise from the left, their record sales and popularity have declined. Because as a result of expressing their views they have alienated a great deal of their audience, after all, they are a Country group, and it dosen't take a rocket scientist to see that the Country music fanbase is predominately Conservative.

Sometimes it pays to keep your mouth shut.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 06-25-2007 at 08:26 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote