Music Banter - View Single Post - Ultimate Guitarist Poll
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #329 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Ok lets look at Santana and Gilmour. Neither are particularly technical players. Rather they simply have a great melodic ear. But what they play isn't very advanced, and anyone can learn their licks in just a few years training, does this mean that the people who play what they read from the music perfectly are playing with emotion? Of course not. You just have the misleading idea that if its a pretty melody, than that person obviously must have invested a lot of emotion into writing it or playing it. This couldn't be further from the truth, its good song composition, plain and simple.

As for the blues, its no different from any other kind of music, which requires some kind of understanding of musical coposition. You can't expect to become a good blues guitarist just because you play with "feeling". You have to work for it. This is how my view is different from others here, I have respect for any musician if I think they are instrumentally talented, even if its someone whose music I hate. Because I know regardless of how I feel about the music, others feel different. Even Drean Theater earn my espect, even though I can't stand their music, they have worked damn hard to get where they are. So they do deserve some respect, even if according to the inconsistant logic of some people, they play with no "feeling".

And don't accuse me of not knowing a thing or two about personal suffering, I have listened to a Rusty Cooley album in its entirety.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 07-14-2007 at 05:14 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote