Music Banter - View Single Post - Top-50 All-time (Rough Draft)
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #51 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

RE: I wouldn't have Zep at number 1 even though I'm the biggest Zep fan here. The greatest rock band is The Beatles, theres no debating that, really.

Correction you were the biggest Zeppelin fan here. And I make my argument for them over the Beatles as follows. As time has continued to pass since the end of both groups epic runs the music that the Beatles have inspired (pop music) is the scourge of the earth whereas the Zeppelin influenced hard rock and metal seems like the last the best stuff going today within the publics collective conscience. In addition I feel the Beatles have far more bad music produced then Led Zeppelin. Also Zeppelin seems more revered by musicians then do the Beatles and in terms of songs on my I Pod Zep wins 78 to 52 and I never skip a Zeppelin track. (Hot Dog is not on it)

RE: Toto have won 6 Grammys, Pink Floyd only have 1.

The Grammys are not what I would call a valid source.

Most respected awards source in music and the Toto clause is why it's one of many criteria.

RE: And having Yes below Stone Temple Pilots is just ridiculous.

Once again I remind you thats #51-100 are not ranked in any particular order.

RE: If you want to make an efficient greatest artists list, you will need to put preference aside. I'd also add impact, influence and maybe innovation, and replace the term technical skill with talent, because its a more vague (if more subjective) term. And why I wouldn't eradicate popularity from the criteria completely, I wouldn't put as much emphasis on it.

What's the sense of doing my own list if personal preference is not brought into play. I will by the end of this list have shrunk it to the least significant element but still everything else being equal I'll take the band I like better.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote