Music Banter - View Single Post - pink floyd.. syd or roger?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Music Man
Music Addict

I'd have to go with Roger, but I don't think it's really a valid comparison, since Syd got the boot not long after their debut album was released.

Syd was the driving force behind the groundbreaking "Piper at the Gates...", but crashed and burned on acid shortly thereafter.

His behavior became so erratic that he was forced out of the band before their second album was completed and released. So he contributed very little to the second album "A Saucerful of Secrets".

Whereas he had written almost all the songs on "Piper", he only contributed one song to "Secrets"---"Jugband Blues".

If Syd hadn't fried his brain on LSD, he may have gone on to achieve long-term greatness with the band.

Unfortunately, that's all speculation. Since Waters contributed so much outstanding material over the course of many years, I'd have to choose him over Syd. However, I still respect Syd's work on "Piper" greatly.
"Paranoid is just like an anchor. It really secures everything about the metal movement in one record. It's all there: the riffs, the vocal performance of Ozzy, the song titles, what the lyrics are about. It's just a classic defining moment."

--Rob Halford of Judas Priest
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote