Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Best Guitarist Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #844 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Greatest Guitar Player ever

MHDTV's genre question got me thinking about this more specific title... Here's my list which I has changed a little over the years but holds pretty steady. This is my favorite music argument ever and I try to have at least a couple times a years with some or other blokes, regardless without further adieu

Honorable Mention: Steve Vai, David Gilmour, Kirk Hammett, Angus Young, Mark Knopfler, Slash, Tony Iommi, Dimebag Darrell, Joe Satriani, Tom Morello, Johnny Ramone, Robert Fripp, Pete Townshend, Carlos Santana

T-10. Randy Rhodes - Maybe the greatest metal guitarist ever, I think so. Heavy classical music influence that set him apart from the rest, taken too young by an absurd plane crash.

T-10. Robert Johnson - The original G. Nobody ever heard the Blues until Robert Johnson played them. Only time stopped him from doing what many of his successors did himself. If you don't know him take the time to get to.

9. Jeff Beck - The 3rd best guitar player the Yardbirds ever had and it's still an amazing compliment. Also played with Rod Stewart in the Jeff Beck Band and has had a great solo career. Can shread in multiple genres.

8. Chuck Berry - The originator of true Rock and Roll Guitar. His intros are unforgettable and he could play with then unrivaled speed and precision.

7. Eddie Van Halen - Could be at the top of the list with little argument. Made the Band great. Invented tapping and harmonic techniques to bring a new sound to rock music.

6. Duane Allman - Maybe the most underrated ever, brilliant at the slide. Great Album with the Domino's and amazing with the Allman Brothers Band, pick up Idlewild South sometime.

5. Eric Clapton - From the Domino's to Blind Faith and Cream and an amazing unmatched solo career, Clapton is a guitar God and has inspired a generation of musicians. Has written and played several of the most memorable riffs in rock music history.

4. Jimmy Page - Perhaps the most influential guitar player outside of the #1 on the list. His brilliant fire and ingenuity made Led Zeppelin Hard Rock's best ever. When he raised the volume he raised the bar for Guitar players.

3. B.B. King - Could hardly bear a more appropriate name. Truly the King of Blues Guitar as even confessed by his chief rival Clapton. He and Lucille have made beautiful music for over 50 years.

2. Stevie Ray Vaughn - Talented, accomplished, revolutionary, amazing. SRV changes your idea of how to play the guitar. His passion and dedication is clear in each and every note. My personal favorite guitar instrumentalist of all-time.

1. Jimi Hendrix - The Legend. Never has been, may never be another even close. Expressed his feelings and thoughts perfectly with the Guitar. Made it speak like no one else has.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote