Music Banter - View Single Post - Top-50 All-time (Rough Draft)
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #139 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

@ Crowquill

I've made several arguments for why I have included Green Day so highly and while I think you and I got off on the wrong foot, I will say you have articulated your point well and I'll offer you my counterpoint. Thank you for using my criteria...

Popular Opinion: The Ramones have recently finally been given there due, I agree meanwhile Green Day won last years best Rock album Grammy. I know a lot more Green Day fans then Ramone fans a lot of that may be generational and also due to the fact that punk rock (which the Ramones are and Green Day was) is more of a social movement then a musical genre. I would say this category is a push.

Commercial Success: Green Day by a landslide. Over 60 million records sold in their 15+ year history, and Three Grammy awards including both best Punk and Rock album (Dookie and American Idiot) The Ramones sold less then a third that many records and were wrongfully dissed by critics of their era but nonetheless.

Longevity: Tricky one. Green Day has been one of the biggest Rock Bands on the scene consistently for 13 years, the Ramones popularity has dipped and spiked and all the changes in the bands line-up also hurt them in this category which I give to Green Day.

Technical Ability: Don't deny their abilities even though their style was simplistic, take a look at some Beatles songs in sheet music form and see how complex they were. Again probably a push, but I'd give a slight edge to the Green Day because they had a generation to watch and learn from.

Showmanship: I saw the Ramones in the early eighties when the band was made up of the three originals and Marky on drums they blew me away with their energy and stage presence. Same thing with Green Day, I was not a huge fan until I saw them live at Pine Knob in Michigan in the late 1990's, I saw them on last years American Idiot tour as well and they were again out of this world good. Both bands are better live then on record and that counts for something big. Edge to the Ramones because they were the innovators.

Groundbreakings: For sure the Ramones here. Without them no Green Day, no Chilli Peppers and on and on as we know them. Green Day has lead to the proliferation of loust bands like Good Charlotte sadly.

Personal Opinion: Don't criticize me for having an opinion when that's the point of making a list like this. I think Green Day is a much better band with far more songs I enjoy yes, but I have spent two weeks already on this list and have done my homework. I have hundreds of lists in front of me and record sales and discographies for all the bands on my list, also I have been listening to bands one after another comparing them as best and fairly as I can. I am trying to eliminate as much bias as possible and if you remember I did take the Ramones out and put them back in so while they are not a personal favorite I respect their importance to music and want to recognize it in my list. If my attempts to be fair and thoughtful are not enough for you then piss off; otherwise I'd love to hear more of your well said and insightful opinions.

Thanks

P.S. The Ramones aren't going anywhere, you've convinced me to convince myself they must stay.

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 07-30-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote