Music Banter - View Single Post - Californication, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 1999 Warner Brothers
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHDTV View Post
met·a·phor [met-uh-fawr, -fer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def. 1).
2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.
[Origin: 1525–35; < L metaphora < Gk metaphorá a transfer, akin to metaphérein to transfer. See meta-, -phore]

How exactly is 'here it is quiet and much cooler than the house is / and there's no clocks or phones to wake us up' not a metaphor for something(Haven't examined all the lyrics so I don't know what)?
You see in the garden there typically isn't any phones or clocks hooked up, theres nothing metaphorical about that at all, there isn't a metaphor in that entire thing bit I quoted. Its imagery