Music Banter - View Single Post - Elliott Smith "Elliott Smith"
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Default Elliott Smith "Elliott Smith"

Elliott Smith "Elliott Smith"

Label: Kill Rock Stars
Release Date: July 21st, 1995
Genre: Singer-Songwriter/Lo-fi Folk
Tracklist:
1. Needle in the Hay
2. Christian Brothers
3. Clementine
4. Southern Belle
5. Single File
6. Coming Up Roses
7. Satellite
8. Alphabet Town
9. St. Ides Heaven
10. Good to Go
11. The White Lady Loves You More
12. The Biggest Lie

Now this is Elliott at his lo-fi best, the album is held (or I assume it is by the amount of musicians that cover songs off this album) in high respects by several bands since quite a few have covered songs off this album including: Bright Eyes, the Decemberists and Queens of the Stone Age. It also features Needle in the Hay which was the song played during Richies suicide scene in The Royal Tenenbaums but now to the album.

This album is like Roman Candle except in my opinion better, its lo-fi folk just like it except its one I would recommend for fans of lo-fi folk. It also holds some obvious growth with more instrumentation and a sound that seems more comfortable. Its a more dark and moody album than alot of his other stuff. Songs like Needle in the Hay, The White Lady Loves You More, and St Ides. Heaven (as you can tell by the titles) deal with drug issues and relationship problems, but Elliott manages to avoid it being cliche, maybe because as displayed by his life you knew it was real or maybe its just his voice.

Rating: 7/10
Recommended Songs: St Ides. Heaven, The Biggest Lie, Coming Up Roses, Good To Go
Download Link: hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?bw22jl9ucxj
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote