Music Banter - View Single Post - Starting a band, big problems, need help.
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01
#1 Schuldinist.

My band is having somewhat, well, opposite problems with a member in our band; ironically, his name is Robert.

He isn't a control freak. Hell, he sucks so much we wish he was; he'd be contributing more than he is now. He doesn't practice, he can't play for ****, and whatever he does play is ****ty and not what we want to play. Most of our music isn't complex when it comes to bass parts, but we do like it to be more apart of the music in some way, and he'll tell us, "No, I'm gonna need to change that." We say "Why?" He says "I can't play that." It's like, "No **** you can't. That's what practicing is for."

Firing band members is hard, especially if he's your friend. We've been trying to find someone to replace our bass player, or else we would have fired him already.

What it comes down to is if he really is your friend he'll understand. If he's not, he'll be a whiny baby about it and stop being friends with you.

It's alot easier if you don't even like the guy; first guy we fired WAS actually a control freak, and a flamer as well who kept hitting on my guitarist. He also had not talent, and he viewed music as a business venture instead of art. Our singer, who wasn't great to look at but could sing really well (back when we were nu-metal); he didn't like her because she was fat. I say to him whether he'd want an ugly person who could sing or a hot person who couldn't. I might as well have been blowing air in his face.

That ****er was out. No band should have to deal with members who think they own the band (unless, of course, they actually DO), and who have no musical talent.

I say get with your other members and vote Bob out.
And taste a memory
Of a time in life
When years seemed to stand still
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 is offline   Reply With Quote