Music Banter - View Single Post - Sex, God, David Blane and other fun stuff...
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #59 (permalink)
i get high sometimes
Account Disabled

So many comments to debate here. I'll edit them in as I reply to them.

Quote:
So why exactly are you living your life. I cannot imagine a life in which there were no glorious end. Without Him my life, any life is meaningless because you're living it for the wrong reasons. Maybe you want to be the head of a major company, or the president, or the richest person in the whole world. Even if you get to that position, where are you at the end? YOU HAVE NOTHING. And God forbid that you're wrong and you end up in hell? I still aspire for big things, I'm not going to be stepped on or not work towards things because I believe that if I was meant for something that it'll just come to me. It is not a blind faith either(proof). The way I look at it, if you're going to live, at least live towards something, live FOR Someone and at the end you will be awarded greatly. Even if you are wrong, you were still a good person and will pass with a good conscience and good heart.
This is, once again, terribly flawed logic. There are a few things here.

1. You say that you could not imagine a life in which there were no glorious end. In this you very clearly lay the claim that your religion comforts you. That's fine, but because something comforts you, or makes you a better person, in no way makes it true. Telling a cancer patient that they do not have cancer and can look forward to the rest of their lives, would certainly comfort an otherwise scared person, this does not however, change the fact that they will die of cancer. Next, suppose atheism made you the worst person in the world. All atheists are misogynistic, racist, megalomaniacle maniacs (a series of discriptions which describe your God rather well, ironically). All of these horrible characteristics of atheism would not change the fact that God does not exist. Realizing there is no god could turn you into a psychotic killer, and the fact that God does not exist would not be shaken. So, comfort =/= truth. This should be obvious. And 'making you a good person' =/= truth.

2. "And God forbid that you're wrong and end up in hell"

What a nieve thing to say. Suppose that you're wrong. You've spent your life dedicated to Yaweh, when it turns out that Allah is the one true God.
By your logic, you may as well become a Muslim, because if that whole Christianity thing doesn't work out in the end, you're gonna be screwed. God forbid you're wrong...

Can't you see why that reasoning is completely wrong? There are thousands of religions, what are the chances that YOURS is right? Pascals Wager was disproved the same day he developed it, you certainly don't do it any justice.

3. "Even if you get in that position, what are you in the end? YOU HAVE NOTHING"

Again, just because your religion brings comfort to you, does not make it true. This builds upon both of the replies I've already given. You've spent your life devoted to Yaweh, and Allah is the true God. Now, not only do you have nothing, but you are burning to death in the pits of hell for eternity. Take up Islam, it is the only way, by your logic, to save yourself.

Also, I resent the statement that atheists have nothing. Sure, upon death we will all have nothing, just like we were nothing before birth. But, during my life I am not restrained to the laws of some ancient book, and I am not guilt ridden and subject to the admonishment of pious men. I feel that the religious waste their lives for something so trivial and ridiculous, I cannot even fathom the amount disconnect in ones brain that would lead them to devote themselves to God. Let alone give their life for him. That is plain silly, especially since, after death, it will be painstakingly obvious to you that you believed in a myth your whole life. Or, considering your consciouness will die with your body, you won't be aware of the waste that your life was after all.

4. Your website is a joke. The first sentece lies to you. Right off the bat these religious folk have lied. Can they not prove their point without lying? There must be something wrong with your case when you have to lie to prove it.

"There is no scientific fact that discredits the Bible"

Hello? Seven days of creation, humans on the 6th day. The earth has been in existance for 4+ Billion years, humans have been around for about 2 million years. You can do the subtraction there and realize that it equates to a little more than 6 days of difference. Of course though, Christians have to put all kind of spin on their Bible to dispute anything.

"Who knows?! Days could mean hundreds of millions of years"

He is the creator of all things in your mind right? If that is what he meant, don't you think that he, as God, could at least make it clear? Any 10 year old can interpret those verses in Genesis and take out of it that God created the world in 6 days. If God really meant to say that he created the Earth and the things which populate it over the course of 3+ billion years, I believe, that if he truly is the creator of all things, he would be able to articulate his point better. Or maybe a better scientific disproof of Bible stories would be the notion that humans were created in their present state. Which we know for a fact to be false. Perhaps the story of the man who spent two weeks inside a whale, a physically impossible thing to do, is better disproof? Again, it takes all sorts of spin and off-the-wall interpretations for you to make sense of your Bible, to make it logical.

5. "At least you will pass with a good consciousness and a good heart"

Atheists cannot have good hearts and good conscienceness? The fact that some of the greatest philanthropists have been atheists and some of the biggest crooks and tyrants have been clergymen or religious men says a good deal on that if you ask me. Secondly, I really doubt that Allah is going to care how greatly you devoted your life to being a heretic in the eyes of his religion, you're still spending eternity in hell.

Last edited by i get high sometimes; 08-13-2007 at 04:28 PM.
i get high sometimes is offline   Reply With Quote