Music Banter - View Single Post - How many genres?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Muzak
Music Addict

The groove comes from the Pantera, my friend. As they are one of the more well known metal bands, and the bringer of groove thrash. This mostly influenced many groove based 'metal' bands (Nu Metal, Devildriver, Modern Hardcore in some aspects). Lamb of God is one that really based their style on the Pantera worship more than the scene metalcore of today. Some say they are more of a post thrash influence (see Meshugga and Byzantine).

Also, 10 years ago, most metal genres that existed (that most knew about, Black Metal and Death Metal are different cases) were very similar to each other. Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, NWOBHM, even Power Metal at the time were all closely related in sound in some way or anther. In this day and age, the genre tree has branched so far and made such diverse styles that many see heavy use of genre tagging as a way to keep the metal umbrella from being meshed into chaos.

For instance, Kamelot's The Haunting sounds nothing like Wormed's Tunnel of Ions yet they are both metal.

I agree that many might abuse the genre system of metal or use it incorrectly but I think that with the type of genre metal is, the genre tags are needed.
Muzak is offline   Reply With Quote