Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #2943 (permalink)
i get high sometimes
Account Disabled

Quote:
I am only old here and at the bars we play in, I am young everywhere else so no worries.

As far as the political banter, it's easy to spot a staunch liberal or conservative from miles away. There is no talking sense into them, they see the world in a very black and white way mine is as I believe jgd said very much grey. While politics are a delightful topic, I keep my distance from such debates online, it never goes anywhere.

I will say with comfortably certainty...

If you don't know how unselfish men like Regan and Nixon were, you need to freshen up on history before the political revisionists got to it. Say what you will about their politics, they both gave of themselves and their time throughout their entire lives like few since have. They were good men with good intentions and that counts for something.
this is the right thread to reply to this in. if you don't wanna have a friendly debate then thats fine.

I will start by saying that I am a staunch liberal. There is nothing wrong with that, and using it as a means of putting someones ideas down is pointless. I don't see a problem with aligning myself with a political philosophy that believes all people have equal chance to be successful, and believes that the government shouldn't let big business run politics, which is what has happened throughout many modern GOP administrations.

Reagan and Nixon were not good men, and certainly not good presidents. I honestly have never heard anyone defend Nixon, he was a disgrace even to the Republican party, and that takes talent. He was political scum, violated the constitution, and let the country down on his promise when he took his oath to uphold the constitutiton and perform his duties to the best of his abilities. He knowingly stole information, commited campaign fraud, sabatoge, wiretapped American citizens illegally, and then purposefully covered these activities and lied to the American people about it. You are certainly in the minorty, even among Repulicans, in your praise of Richard Nixon. Digust for him is nearly universal. I am very intrested in why it is that you chose to mention him, of any president you could have chosen to praise. A horrible, horrible man.

As for Reagan. I really detest the notion that Reagans election was an American call for 'conservatism'. Only 1% of the electorate stated their reason for voting for Reagan was "Because he is a true conservative". There was no American call for conservatism, and boy was that drawn out and used to justify his actions. I realize that probably isn't all his fault, but it is aggravating. Anyway, onto Reagan's real crimes. Aggressive war in Nicaragua, in which he knowingly sponsered terrorism, and not only sponsered it, but armed the terrorists. He knew the Contras were terrorists, and yet he continued to fund them. Why? Because they were attempting to overthrow the Sandinistas. A democratically elected party, whom he felt were too liberal. So, like most presidents would have done during the Cold War, he labeled them communist. But he didn't stop with the labeling. He then proceded to launch a massive terrorist war in Nicaragua, which led to mass civilian casualties in the most brutal of ways. How was he funding these terrorists without the American public knowing? By illegally selling weapons to Iran, and then sneaking the money under the table to support the contras. That is not the makings of a good man, or a righteous man. That is American greed at its finest. He used the tag-on communism to justify his war in a country that he felt was coming under too much control of his own government. His legacy hasn't faded if you couldn't draw somewhat of a parrallel between that and what is happening in this administration.
i get high sometimes is offline   Reply With Quote